Canada Bread Company, Limited is a leading producer and distributor of packaged fresh bread and bakery products with brands such as Dempster’s®, Villaggio®, POM®, Bon Matin®, Ben’s®, Healthy Way® and McGavins®. Dempster’s is the national brand leader and a market leader in the health and well-being segment of bread products in Canada.
As an independent business unit of Grupo Bimbo, Canada Bread seeks to grow value-added bakery segments by focusing on health and well-being, and penetrating new bakery segments and channels of distribution. Canada Bread operates 16 bakeries and employs approximately 3,800 Associates across Canada. It distributes its products through a network of more than 1,000 routes operated by franchisees, distributors and some Corporate Associates.
We are currently looking to hire a Transportation Planner to join our Langley team.
Under the direction of the Transportation Supervisor with efficiency and customer service as a priority, the Transportation Planner is the coordinator of the company’s transportation service and is the primary interface between the company, the customer and the carrier. Acts as first point of contact for the transportation needs of the internal and external customer, and resolves any problems or concerns with the transport of shipments either to or from the warehouse or elsewhere.
Candidates who apply must be flexible to work in a 24 hour 7 day a week environment and be able to work rotating schedules and split days off.
Your Responsibility and Challenges:
- Enter all customer order details into the computer system, and confirm with customer within one hour of booking or per the customer’s specifications
- Using various computer applications and databases, book transportation with carrier per client’s instructions, ensuring all information is relayed accurately
- Maintain excellent relationships with clients and carriers, providing clear and concise information and direction
- Monitor customer service issues ensuring mutual resolution, escalating as required
- Maintain accurate computer records of all transportation details, including dispatch files, records of customer requests, work or services performed
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date ‘spot’ quotes
- Dispatch orders based on customer pick-and-delivery instructions and prescribed profit margins
- Provide all carriers with transport details, such as:
- Pickup and delivery dates and location
- Type, size and weight of shipment and equipment required
- Appropriate pay rates (if required)
- Ensure information on carrier pricing is up to date
- Assess customer order requirements vs. carrier capabilities, and recommend appropriate or alternate methods to meet and exceed customer expectations
- Advise carriers and clients regarding methods of transport for various substances, including dangerous goods
- Comply with laws, regulations and standards, and complete any required documentation where applicable
- Coordinate freight orders with company driver
- Partner with Freight Auditor to resolve any rating issues or problems
- Assist with training of new employees within department
- Develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with those on your team, as well as cross-functionally
What Do You Need To Be A Successful Planner?
- University Degree (Business degree preferred)
- 3 to 5 years experience within Transportation
- Advance Microsoft Excel skills
- Demonstrate a high level of energy and urgency. Self-starter.
- Can work in a dynamic and face paced environment largely self-directed.
- Fantastic interpersonal skills. Able to communicate well at all levels.
- High self confidence and creativity. Well organized.
- Professional designation such as CITT or P. Log or other related courses would be an asset.
Are you ready to take the next step in your career? Apply immediately with your cover letter and resume to be considered for this exciting role.