Bimbo Canada is a leading producer and distributor of packaged fresh bread and bakery products with brands such as Dempster’s®, Villaggio®, POM®, Bon Matin®, Ben’s®, Healthy Way® and McGavins®. Dempster’s is the national brand leader and a market leader in the health and well-being segment of bread products in Canada. The growth strategy is to focus on market leadership in all commercial bread categories. The company operates 19 bakeries and employs approximately 4,550 associates across Canada. It seeks to create value by leading innovation in products and service delivery in the bakery industry, enhancing distribution services and processes, and continuing to grow premium white and whole grain breads, tortillas, bagels, rye, buns and rolls.
As an independent business unit of Grupo Bimbo, Bimbo Canada seeks to grow value-added bakery segments by focusing on health and well-being, and penetrating new bakery segments and channels of distribution. The business will continue to grow market leadership and margins by investing in the premium whole grain product category, and by delivering continued product innovation in other bakery and snack categories.
Bimbo Canada serves major grocery chains, retail outlets and foodservice operations across Canada. The company distributes branded products in the discount, mainstream and super-premium segments, and is the leading producer in most major bakery categories. It also produces private label products for grocery and foodservice outlet.
KEY POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
PREFERRED HIRING CRITERIA:
- Accountable for maintenance of all production equipment, operation and maintenance of utility services and building facilities
- Have ability to create and develop relationships, which will enable them to influence and effect change through others
- Be an integral member of the Plant’s Management team that provides strategic direction to the approximately 15 associates.
- Develop and manage a capital plan and assist to produce capital requests.
- Research new equipment and technology to enable the Plant to operate in an extremely competitive environment
- Strong involvement in the initiation, development and installation of capital projects/initiatives to improve associate safety, product quality, productivity and plant efficiencies.
- Contribute to continuous improvement and cost reduction programs through new methods.
- Minimize production downtime by ensuring the maintenance staff is properly scheduled, trained, equipped and motivated while ensuring associate safety.
- Promote associate safety and ensure overall compliance to the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Promote associate compliance to GMPs and all related food safety practice
- Manage all mechanical contracted services (refrigeration, electrical, construction)
- Manage a preventative maintenance program
- Implement improvement programs and projects
- Administer weekly departmental budget spending responsibilities; report and address any discrepancies
- Schedule and monitor all installations, equipment reliability work and PSSRs
- Conduct PSR’s on new or used equipment
- Develop, lead and coach associates through effective training and communication
- At least 5 years’ maintenance experience in a fast-paced manufacturing environment (preferably in a food manufacturing plant) with a proven track record in outstanding results within their scope of responsibility
- At least 5 years’ progressive maintenance/manufacturing/supervisory experience
- Possesses sound knowledge of troubleshooting, adjusting or repairing equipment, including PLCs
- Working knowledge of Maximo or other preventative maintenance software
- Experience developing and managing budgets
- Certification as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) would be an asset
- Bachelor’s degree (technical discipline) or Engineering Technologist degree
- Computer literacy, including proficiency in MS Office, Outlook and Excel
- Experience with food processing, CFIA and HACCP would be an asset
- Ability to maintain composure while managing pressure
- Aptitude and interest for learning while demonstrating leadership in a progressive work environment
- Highly developed interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Ability to delegate and hold people accountable for results/satisfactory completion of tasks
- Effective team building skills
- Demonstrated bias for action
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Effective presentation skills, both formally and informally
- Demonstrated ability to strive for results
- Available to work flexible shifts to ensure accountability for all necessary maintenance troubleshooting
- Must be knowledgeable and be able to follow GMPs, Food Safety and Health and Safety requirements