Bimbo Canada is Canada’s largest bakery, operating for more than 100 years. It is a leading producer and distributor of fresh packaged breads and snacks with more than 1,000 products across 18 brands Canadians know and love, like Dempster’s®, Stonemill®, Villaggio®, Vachon® cakes and Takis®. Bimbo Canada is proud to feed Canadian families with safe, high-quality products they can trust made by Canadians, for Canadians at 16 bakeries, 14 distribution centres and 191 depots across the country. Bimbo Canada is a wholly owned subsidiary of Grupo Bimbo, the world’s largest baking company. Together, they are nourishing a better world with delicious baked goods and snacks by building a sustainable, highly-productive and deeply-humane company. We are dedicated to building a diverse workplace that promotes equity and belonging, where all associates can develop and contribute to the transformation of our company, the baking industry and our communities. For more, visit www.bimbocanada.com.
The Maintenance Supervisor will be responsible for the overall supervision of millwrights and electricians in a non-union manufacturing environment. The successful applicant will have at least 5+ years supervisory experience managing and assisting in the work assignment/direction of fast-paced maintenance activities, in a food manufacturing plant.
This position requires initiative, leadership, excellent communication skills, and confidence regarding your technical and organizational talents. Your objective will be to address our bakery’s equipment and process challenges while successfully raising each associate’s level of knowledge and skills to facilitate quick install, troubleshooting and adjustment or repair of existing and new (including PLC) equipment in the plant.
This highly technical, hands-on individual must constantly be on the floor directing the maintenance activities to ensure production needs are being met and to ensure that work orders and PM tasks are completed on time and satisfactorily, that policies are enforced with the trades, and trades receive appropriate training in order to coach new associates as required.
- Ensure the efficient operation of plant equipment and services, involving cost control, safety (people and food), and product quality.
- Understand production requirements and day-to-day equipment operating issues by ensuring open and effective communications with all other departments. (This may require you to work several production shifts)
- Continuously improve the preventive maintenance program to reduce downtime and improve overall maintenance costs.
- Assist with the implementation of capital projects.
- Plan and implement PM’s on equipment as required.
- Arrange with suppliers to obtain and/or install equipment and parts in a cost-effective manner.
- Responsible for scheduling work orders, assessing associate training needs and performance.
- Develop, lead and maintain capable and effective associates in all areas of the maintenance function.
- Conduct Safety Talks with all maintenance associates
- Maintain a positive environment
- Oversee and direct plant projects that involve our own associates or outside contractors
- Interact efficiently with planning to prioritize work assignments to maintain plant production
- Effectively handle associate issues including progressive discipline, vacation, overtime etc., in accordance with company policy
- Be flexible, capable, and willing to be “hands on” to perform other related duties as assigned by your Manager.
- Ensure you have full understanding of the Work Order system and implementation of our computerized work order system, and other CMMS applications.
- Ensure you have knowledge of all the plant equipment in the maintenance and troubleshooting the equipment including electrical switchgear, motor, and instrumentation. And/or in the alignment of large motor, compressors, pumps and conveyor systems.
- Provide feedback and info to Maintenance Coordinator for preparing work assignments
- Provide feedback to your Manager regarding daily production equipment issues.
- Provide feedback to your Manager regarding any equipment issues follow-up in a timely manner.
- Provide feedback to your Manager on the progress, action plan and investigation of any tasks assigned to you.
- Act as a technical resource and coach to crew members and peers
- Communicate via written and oral format the “happenings” of the shift to counterparts
- Coordinate any necessary clearances and any work involving other crafts for the next day.
- Review and preparation of drawings and technical manuals
- To ensure the efficient operation of all machinery and systems for this processing facility
- Strong sense of “urgency” and “having a bias for action” and has the ability to multitask in a fast paced environment.
- Ensure you have an excellent understanding of preventive and predictive maintenance and execute the concept in full.
- Ensure work orders are completed, properly filled, and sign off before returning to scheduler.
- Ensure that all completed and incomplete work are reviewed and plan for any further action or work required.
- Ensure proper communication and working relationship with other departments.
- Understand and ensure implementation fully the concept of Food Safety and Good Manufacturing practices, and regulatory requirements with all of the maintenance associates in addition to outside contractors.
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND & WORK EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of 5+ years in a maintenance supervisor experience in a manufacturing industry is a definite asset
- Experience on mechanical repair would be a definite asset to the position.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a post-secondary education.
- Excellent knowledge of troubleshooting, adjusting, or repairing of existing and new equipment including PLC’s.
- Working knowledge of work orders and preventative maintenance.
- Experience with food processing, CFIA, HACCP, Continuous Improvement Process, Six Sigma would be an asset.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, as well as project management skills.
- Ability to develop, foster, and work within, a team environment.
- Experience in working with operational budgets.
- Solid computer skills including MS Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, and Outlook), exposure to Oracle and MAXIMO systems is an asset.
- Flexibility to work alternating shifts including weekends and holidays.