Bimbo Canada, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Grupo Bimbo since May 2014, is a leading producer and distributor of packaged fresh bread and bakery products with brands such as Dempster's®, Villaggio®, POM®, Bon Matin®, Ben's®, McGavins®, Vachon® and Stonemill®. In business for more than 100 years, the Company operates 18 bakeries and employs approximately 4,100 associates across Canada. For more information, please visit www.bimbocanada.com.
About the Role
As Senior Manager, Government Relations, you will play a key role supporting Bimbo Canada’s journey to Nourish a Better World through the development ofstrategic, proactivegovernment relations strategies to build relationships within all levels of government and key industry stakeholders. Beyond external relationship building, the nature of this role means you will also be collaborating with associates in multiple functions and at multiple levels of the organization.
The individual will be also responsible for staying informed of current and new policy, funding opportunities and emerging issues, advising senior leadership of the impact to Bimbo Canada and developing a plan to support or address key policy changes.
The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of government process and possess the ability to work independently.
• Federal and provincial government relations and outreach to establish, maintain and expand professional relationships with government and regulatory officials to position and recognize Bimbo Canada as an industry leader
• Extends Bimbo Canada’s visibility and impact through participation on significant regional/provincial/national boards and trade associations and participation in industry coalitions
• Monitor, review, assess and summarize industry issues and policy proposals for risks and opportunities
• Engage internal stakeholders to establish and advocate clear positions on policy issues that impact our business
• Development and submission of government funding proposals, including internal collaboration for data collection and program promotion
• Facilitate government relationships between our regional team members and key local government and industry stakeholders
• Actively engage on several Boards, as well as committees/working groups of associations to further our strategic objectives and develop policy positions that meet our organizational approach
• Government relations reporting and communications
• Build awareness of importance of function through various channels, including quarterly internal government relations newsletter/update and frequent company updates
• Foster, maintain and refine network of external consultants, as appropriate
• Development of 2025 government relations strategy and annual planning
• Development of all supporting materials to support outreach, including data fact sheets, Operations toolkits, plant tour plans
• Direct engagement with Communications on the rollout of our Brand Reputation plan
• Support media monitoring, as required
Skills and Attributes for Success:
• In-depth knowledge of the Canadian political process, especially with respect to influencing the path of legislation or regulatory decision-making
• Pre-existing contacts with government officials
• Knowledge of the Canadian food processing industry is preferred
• Demonstrated networking and influencing skills with the ability to motivate change
• Ability to be proactive, take initiative, multi-task competing priorities and remain focused/organized in a fast-paced environment
• Highly developed verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to present information in an organized, logical and effective manner to a wide variety of audiences
• Experience communicating complex issues in clear, straightforward terms
• Strategic and agile, combined with the ability to navigate a large, complex organization
• Exemplary work ethic with ability to work independently, think critically and solve problems
• Strong interpersonal skills that enables you to build internal relationships with other functions across all levels of the organization
Experience and Qualifications:
• Strong government and public relations acumen, including deep knowledge of various levels of government
• Undergraduate degree in Business, Political Science, Communications or related discipline
• Minimum 5 to 7 years' experience in a related role, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
• Must be bilingual (English/French); Spanish is an asset.
At Bimbo Canada, we value our associates, which is why it is an extraordinary place to work. We have the utmost respect for our associates and demonstrate this with competitive salaries, learning and development opportunities, recognizing the diversity in culture and talent of our associates, and an array of company sponsored benefits.
• Environment – Flexible.
• Travel Requirements – Some limited travel may be required.
• Volume/Complexity of Work – A fast-paced work environment.
• Physical Requirements – Low.