Would you like to work with a great team in a fast-paced environment, ensuring we feed Canadians in a sustainable way? We offer that, plus great benefits, competitive wages and more.
Bimbo Canada (formerly Canada Bread Company, Limited) is a leading producer and distributor of packaged fresh bread and bakery products with brands such as Dempster’s®, Villaggio®, POM®, Bon Matin®, Ben’s®, Vachon®, Hostess®, and Sara Lee®. Dempster’s is the national brand leader and a market leader in the health and well-being segment of bread products in Canada. The company operates 19 bakeries and employs approximately 4,550 associates across Canada. It seeks to create value by leading innovation in products and service delivery in the bakery industry, enhancing distribution services and processes, and continuing to grow premium white and whole grain breads, tortillas, bagels, rye, buns and rolls, and snack cakes.
As an independent business unit of Grupo Bimbo, Bimbo Canada seeks to grow value-added bakery segments by focusing on health and well-being, and penetrating new bakery segments and channels of distribution. The business plans to grow by delivering continued product innovation in other bakery and snacks categories.
About the Role
As the Senior Manager, Environmental Sustainability you will help Bimbo Canada progress its new 10-year sustainability strategy by working with Engineering leaders and other key stakeholders across the organization to develop and implement sustainable practices to meet our environmental and waste targets.
The nature of this role means that no two projects will be the same, so you will need to think on your feet and challenge existing practices to develop answers to complex issues. You will also be collaborating with associates in multiple functions and at multiple levels of the organization, both locally and in our global office, so we will look to you to build relationships, identify opportunities and build effective strategies to grow engagement as we work together to strengthen our sustainability culture.
This role will be reporting to Director, National Maintenance, Engineering and Sustainability.
Skills and Attributes for Success:
- Lead the environmental aspects of the implementation of the sustainability strategy with initiatives designed to achieve savings while contributing to environmental protection. This is included, but not limited to:
- Devising strategies to meet targets, benchmark and establish/implement global best practices
- Establishing tools and mechanisms to track and monitor progress across all facilities
- Defining, prioritizing and leading the implementation of sustainability initiatives to advance the strategy
- Engaging with various functional partners across the organization to understand and support initiatives and targets within their area of the business that also have an environmental impact.
- Coordinating meetings, check-ins, training or other to ensure timely progression.
- In partnership with engineering team leads and plant managers, provide technical leadership and project management to:
- Improve the efficiency and reliability of mechanical and electrical systems
- Raise awareness on various types of emissions, waste and environmental impacts and work together to determine improvement plans (ie. Food loss, water, energy, thermal, recycling, waste)
- Works closely with our energy management partners to develop new energy conservation and infrastructure improvement measures and leverage potential financial incentives through supplier channels, while also:
- Managing energy monitoring, verification, auditing
- Contributing to procurement activities in partnership with procurement team
- Assess, analyze and collate environmental performance data and ensure internal systems have the required information kept up to date. Monitor changes in industry sustainability reporting standards and trends. Report information internally and to global as required.
- Work closely with our internal Government Relations team and explore potential funding opportunities related to energy and the environment and support relevant application processes.
- Explore certification opportunities and provide recommendations and cost-benefit analysis and present findings to leadership.
- Stay apprised of any relevant changes in environmental legislation at all levels of government that could impacts our business and track/ensure compliance.
- Assess and lead training as required on tools, systems, program and environmental awareness, which may include the need to produce educational or information resources for internal use.
- Manage and develop Sustainability Analyst who will report directly to you – this includes the responsibility for coaching, mentoring and developing talent.
- Manage relationships and contracts with relevant consultants and suppliers.
- Consultation with the communications team and Senior Director, Government Relations and Sustainability to support the brand reputation strategy. This may include, but is not limited to:
- Writing articles, email messages, position papers and educational materials for internal use
- Supporting the development of promotional materials for internal and external use
- Seeking potential awards/certifications, determining eligibility and liaising with cross-functional leaders on submission for consideration
- Participating in industry roundtables, presentations and seminars
- Travel will be required across Canada to various facilities to assist with implementation and training as required. (NOTE: This will not be an immediate requirement due to the Covid-19 pandemic)
Experience and Qualifications:
- Work effectively as a leader and team member, by sharing responsibility, providing support, maintaining communication and updating team leaders on progress; while taking accountability for progressing results.
- Ability to quickly establish personal credibility and high levels of confidence among stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills that enables you to build internal relationships with other functions across the organization.
- Outstanding communication skills are essential. You will need to be able to leverage different communication mediums and simplify messaging, so that the right combination of medium/message is used depending on the audience.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in an environmental, engineering or relevant discipline (ie. Certified Energy Manager).
- Five years’ related experience in implementing and managing corporate sustainability programs, expertise in energy conservation practices and/or energy project management experience.
- Superior understanding of environmental law and regulations.
- Experience using one or more of the international guidelines such as GRI, UN Global Compact, GHG protocol, SASB, etc… is an asset.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and Sharepoint.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be bilingual (English/French); Spanish is an asset.