Bimbo Canada is Canada’s largest bakery, operating for more than 100 years. It is a leading producer and distributor of fresh packaged breads and snacks with more than 1,000 products across 18 brands Canadians know and love, like Dempster’s®, Stonemill®, Villaggio®, Vachon® cakes and Takis®. Bimbo Canada is proud to feed Canadian families with safe, high-quality products they can trust made by Canadians, for Canadians at 16 bakeries, 14 distribution centres and 191 depots across the country. Bimbo Canada is a wholly owned subsidiary of Grupo Bimbo, the world’s largest baking company. Together, they are nourishing a better world with delicious baked goods and snacks by building a sustainable, highly-productive and deeply-humane company. We are dedicated to building a diverse workplace that promotes equity and belonging, where all associates can develop and contribute to the transformation of our company, the baking industry and our communities. For more, visit www.bimbocanada.com
The Human Relations Advisor position is responsible for aligning HR objectives with business objectives, interacting with associates and management within the business unit. The position creates partnerships across the HR function to deliver value-added service to management and associates that reflects the business objectives of the organization. This position will be involved in associate and labour relations initiatives in our Plants located in the GTA.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Provide effective and strategic counsel to local stakeholders and actively work to achieve continuous improvement in all areas of the Human Relations function
- Deliver guidance and support on all human relations matters to multiple client groups (including salaried and hourly/unionized associates).
- Enhance, introduce and implement best-practice methodologies in support of effective associate and labour relations
- Provide coaching and training to Supervisors and hourly associates on Human Relations processes and policies.
- Compile monthly reports and analysis, including providing recommendations, for Regional and Corporate stakeholders
- Maintain constructive relations with Unions representing hourly associate groups.
- Lead Joint Labour Committee meetings participate in the grievance resolution process.
- Will be actively involved in national HR cycles and reconciliation activities (performance management, succession planning, salary planning, and goals setting, etc.)
- Complete Oracle transactions, reports and audits for clients as required
- Support recruitment and selection of personnel, both hourly and salary
- Create and oversee new associate on-boarding/off boarding programs within client group(s) in Western Canada
- Manage associate relations matters including associate complaints, dispute resolution, termination, settlement, associate engagement initiative, etc.
- Provide coaching and training to salaried associates and supervisory personnel on HR related issues, i.e. hiring and selection, performance management, employment legislation, conflict resolution, policies and procedures and WCB and disability management, including return to work
- Manage short term disability and long-term disability claim files and liaise with disability service provider
- Assist Management with labour relations matters including involvement in grievances, arbitrations and collective bargaining preparation.
- Conduct detailed investigations and ensure that any decision taken is consistent with the Collective Agreement and past practice, including any necessary suspension and/or discharge meetings
- Investigate all harassment issues/human rights claims, initiate follow-up actions and advise management accordingly
- Other assignments and projects as HR and business needs dictate
Education & Experience:
- Knowledge of HR trends, practices, and legislation including applicable employment law and Human Rights in the Canada and OH&S legislation
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills, able to plan and follow through on key priorities and large-scale projects, including problem solving and timely decision making
- Demonstrated ability in dealing with sensitive, difficult and highly charged situations
- At least basic knowledge of relocation programs and immigration requirements
- Competency in MS Office products: Excel, Work, PowerPoint
- Competency in HRIS system and reporting (Oracle preferred)
- Demonstrates a high sense of urgency and a competitive, leadership edge
- Post-secondary education in business or Human Resources, combined with related experience required
- 3-5 years generalist experience in Human Relations function required, including unionized environments
- Completion or working towards CHRP designation is considered an asset
- Valid driver’s license required, as some travel is necessary
Please note that all applicants that will be considered for this role must be double vaccinated for COVID-19. Successful candidates will also be required to provide proof of their vaccination status during the recruitment process.
- Candidate should be extremely service orientated with client groups, including challenging status quo and ability to enter into difficult conversations with others in a professional manner
- Help create and foster a positive work environment through the development, application and evaluation of policies, procedures and programs relating to human relations
- The successful candidate should conduct themselves as a role model of our Grupo Bimbo beliefs and thrive in a culture that recognizes and rewards performance